Schottlander's FarmstaySchottlander's Farmstay is the original farmhouse previously owned by the Quinn family, who ran a dairy for several generations. It is situated on 230 acres. The house has been renovated to make life comfortable for the 21st Century but it retains its warm, country feel, surrounded by green, green paddocks and contented cows.
The house has 4 bedrooms and sleeps 8 people.
A new kitchen and two new bathrooms have been installed along with ceiling fans. The living/dining area has rustic, slate tiles. Harking back to an earlier era, the wooden floors and high, pressed ceilings feature in some rooms. In one of the bedrooms, an original cast-iron fireplace with mantle-piece adds old-world charm.
To the east lies Werri Beach and the Pacific Ocean, just 5 minutes drive from the property; to the west, the dramatic rise and rise of Saddleback Mountain with primeval rainforest. You can choose to walk the challenging incline to the top paddocks, where sorghum, rye, oats and corn are grown especially for our Wagyu friends; or you can take the easy way and drive! Either way, you'll be overwhelmed by the stunning views of the fertile landscape and Seven Mile Beach, on a clear day reaching all the way to Point Perpendicular.
We are especially proud of our waterfall walk through the rainforest. Climb the 107 steps to reconnect with the peace and beauty of nature. See the rare and endangered species of the Illawarra Socketwood tree (Daphnandra johnsonii) which is only found from Berry, in the south, to Scarborough in the northern Illawarra. Only 2 small populations are conserved in the reserve system. The biggest and healthiest of the 41 remaining sites are on private property like ours. Our environmental interest can also be seen with our two Solar Panel Stations, set on rotating arcs which track the sun to maximize generation of solar power.
The skyscape of the South-Coast is ever-changing, from the brilliant, liquid sunrises ,to the sacred sunsets, to the mystery and splendor of the night sky.
Couples, families or small groups can experience a wholesome, farm-style holiday with plenty of room and freedom in a beautiful, rural setting. Choose to relax completely and do nothing at all or become involved in a myriad of activities:
* Feed the free-range chooks and collect eggs for breakfast
* Harvest seasonal fruit and veggies and fresh herbs from the cottage garden
* Plenty of sealed road for kids bicycle/scooter riding
* Plenty of opportunities for nature study - flora and fauna. Animals we've seen on the property include wallabies, kangaroos, wombats, echidnas, foxes, wild goats and deer, snakes and an abundance of bird-life, including the Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo. A bird-watcher's paradise!
* For the artists, bring your easel, sketch-book and camera.
* Learn all about the famous Wagyu cattle. Sample the marbled beef born and bred on the farm (see video clip on this website)
* For those interested in the "nuts and bolts" of farming, you'll see the latest farm machinery in action, whether it's slashing, planting or harvesting.
* 230 acres to explore! Enjoy a walk around the property and say hi to the chooks, cows and calves.
* Read, daydream or meditate "till the cows come home!"